We all know a first impression can mean a lot when meeting someone in person for a first date. Your look can invite people in or turn them off, and of course you want your look to bring people to you like a moth to a flame. How do you do that? You want to make sure your first date outfit and look exude confidence and comfort and a sense of ease about yourself.
Your first date outfit arrives before you do. The person you are there to meet will see your outfit before you ever open your mouth. You want to make sure your look is saying the right things about you. Here is some dating advice about the style mistakes you shouldn’t make, and some tips about what to wear on a first date.
What to Avoid on a First Date
1) Not Too Much Makeup – There is nothing wrong with looking well-polished and airbrushed over for a first date, but don’t go overboard. You can use the same amount as you normally do but don’t add too much of anything. A first date is not the time for you to try your smoky eye look for the first time. You don’t want to scare off your date, or make him feel as though he is dating a clown. That is not the impression you are trying to give, and it might actually hinder you from getting any further. If you want to try a new sexy look for your first date, let a professional do it. They get paid to make people look like they jumped out of a magazine.
2) Show Some Skin – Don’t be afraid to show a little skin. You can where a shirt that exposes your back, a little low cut in the front, or a crop top, a short skirt or some mid-thigh shorts. There is nothing wrong with that. The problem comes when you do all of these in one outfit. Trust me, you will look a mess and very trashy, because that is not sexy.
If you are not there for a hookup you can guarantee the guy is going to get the wrong idea. Even if you are just trying to have sex, keep in mind that too much really turns a guy off. Sheers and nudes are always a great option for the illusion of nakedness. The idea is to never look like you are trying too hard. You want your first date outfit to look effortless. You might also want to consider looking up more info on other dating mistakes you might be making.
Suggestions on What to Wear
3) Wear Red or Black – Everyone looks good in a black, red, or combination of the two with a little white mixed in. These colors carry a light and a life of their own. The color red means life, healthiness, fire, and passion. These are all great messages to subliminally send to your date. With black you send a message of strength, sexiness, and mystic. These are all attributes men love. Both of these colors are statement colors and when you wear them you feel them. That is why red lipstick, the little black dress, or some patent leather red pumps are all power pieces to wear. Pull one or both of those colors out for your first date, and watch your date’s eyes light up.
4) Wear stilettos – Whether you are wearing blue jeans, shorts, a dress, a skirt, or a jumper, stilettos are going to make your legs look long, lean, and sexy. That is the wonderful thing about stilettos. No matter what you are wearing they enhance your outfit and make your legs look killer, even if you are not showing them off. Here is the “must remember” item about wearing your stilettos on a first date. You absolutely must make sure you can walk in them. Nothing kills the mood like throbbing feet. Do not, and I repeat do not, test drive a new pair of stilettos on your first date. Wear your tried and true – especially when taking your dating profile picture.
5) Dress for the occasion – Are you going to dinner? A bar? A sports bar? The park? The answer to these questions are very important. You must have some idea of where you are going, so you can know the look you need to have. There is nothing more tragic, and possibly a date killer, then not being dressed for the occasion when you are meeting someone for the first time. Nothing is crazier looking then showing up to a sporting event with your little black dress on. Your date is going to think there is something wrong with you, and it may make them a little uncomfortable. Find out where you are going and you can still keep it sexy no matter the locale.
Being Comfortable Works!
6) Don’t pull your hair back (wear it down)- I know this one sounds a little different, but really it falls in line with men loving long hair. Long hair gives you a different kind of sexy then short hair, which has its own edge and sexiness to it. There are just some things men love when it comes to women and their hair like a hair flip, or a slight tuck behind the ear. Men like long hair because it makes them think about running their fingers through it and playing in it. When you wear your hair pulled back it can make you look more serious, or more maternal. If you have long hair wear it down on your first date, and he’ll be thinking about playing in it all night long.
7) Be comfortable – Finally one of the best thing you can put on for a first date is comfort. You must be comfortable in whatever you decide to wear. There is nothing worse than looking at somebody be uncomfortable is what they are wearing. You can just tell. The pulling and the fidgeting. It makes the other person very uncomfortable watching this. You want to wear something you feel great in, and that feeling will pour over into your interaction with this person. Plus, when you are comfortable it allows you to adorn the best accessory you have; your smile.